E Commerce is a growing industry and every country now have their own go-to portal. If the US has Amazon, Africa has Jumia. But I am not going to talk about online shopping in this article. Instead, I’ll be showing you how to make money with Jumia through their affiliate program which is one of the easiest ways to start an online business.
First, What Is Jumia?
Jumia is an eCommerce site that caters for consumers in these African countries;
- Ivory Coast
Founded in 2012, it’s basically a shopping platform that offers everything from household items to electronic devices as well as some reputable brands. Besides that, it also has dedicated services for travel bookings, food delivery and property trading.
The Application Process
Applying for the affiliate program is pretty straight-forward. Just go to the official site of the particular country and search at the footer for the ‘Become an Affiliate Partner’ link. A signup form like this will appear.
In one of the particulars, you are required to fill out a website address. To build a good quality website for an online business, I always recommend to go with a custom domain that’s created on a WordPress platform. That way, you can have more control over your marketing effort.
When you are done with that, submit the application and within minutes, you should receive a confirmation in your email. Using the login details, you will be able to access the affiliate dashboard that manages and monitor your sales activities.
How to Create and Use Affiliate Links
The first important thing to do is to set up is the payment details. The second, is to learn how to generate affiliate links for the product that you want to promote. This is fairly common for e-Commerce based type of affiliate programs since there are so many choices to choose from.
To create the link, you need to choose a particular Jumia store country that you are targeting. Then go to the product page that you are interested, copy the URL and paste it under ‘Page URL’.
The final URL that’s generated is an affiliate link and don’t worry if you don’t understand all the codes and numbers in it. The merchant will recognize that this is your unique link and reward a commission whenever someone make a purchase through it.
When it comes to using affiliate links, the best practice is to use it within a contextual format such as how-to articles or product reviews. It makes more sense (and less spammy) this way because offering information FIRST, can help viewers make a better decision rather than pushing them to buy something for the sake of earning.
That’s why it’s always good to establish an affiliate blog from the very beginning as you can constantly add helpful content and give people more reasons to buy through your recommendation vs from a marketer that doesn’t own a one. In terms of online search, your articles will produce a lot of keywords, allowing search engines to index and rank your website better too.
How Much Can You Make
Sales commissions vary between different countries and product categories. In general, fashion, beauty and sports appear to pay the highest, while others are within the lower range. For example, for Jumia Nigeria, one can earn up to 12% from fashion related sales alone.
Say, if you are promoting a pair of women’s heels worth $10,000 Naira, you could potentially make $1200 Naira which is about $3.8 USD. Now, this might not look like a big sum for now, but as you continue to drive traffic to your affiliate site, the earning will recur and accumulates over time. Soon, you could be earning $38 or even $380 USD on a monthly basis.
If you write a travel blog that shares about African holiday destinations, you may want to look into the Jumia Travel service that offers 5% for affiliates.
Hotels and flights are considered high ticket items which means, they are usually priced within the range of hundreds (USD) so even though, the percentage is smaller than physical products, you actually make more from one sales. That’s something profitable to think about.
(1) First of all, I feel like Jumia offers a new breath of opportunity for the African people. Since most online scams are tied to these countries, it’s difficult to find anything that’s legitimate for those who are truly interested in making honest money online. Jumia, on the other hand, has a business model that can work without having to spend a ton of money.
(2) Whether you are a product seller or an affiliate marketer, the reputable and trusted network can help your business reach out to more people.
(3) Like most platforms, there is a variety of products to choose from, but what’s more important is that you need to find out what type of niche to target for your website. Hence the focus product very much depends on the nature of your topic. Is it a recipe blog or is it a fitness blog? You don’t want to be cross promoting things that aren’t related to one another.
(4) I also like the speedy process of the affiliate program application. It’s easy and you receive the approval within a couple of minutes. This means you can start earning almost immediately.
(5) Considering the fact that Africa is a popular tourist destination, I think Jumia Travel is a great platform to monetize from, whether it’s through affiliate marketing or listing a vacation property online.
(1) Most of the customer reviews are quite brief and general. So you couldn’t actually retrieve a lot of information to make your product review more interesting. Even the product images from the vendors are quite limiting.
(2) The affiliate program is still in its infancy and there aren’t many resources that can guide you on how to promote products properly online. Beginners would need some help in this area otherwise, they could be doing it the wrong way and not earn anything.
Is Jumia Affiliate Program Worth Joining?
Overall, I would say yes. As online shopping continues to be part of our daily activities, more brands and customers will visit marketplaces like Jumia. This translates to more traffic and more sales opportunity as an affiliate marketer.
So if you are living within this region and interested in starting an online business, I highly encourage that you check out their platform. For more affiliate tools and resources, please visit my recommended training to learn how to build a WordPress website and pick the right online niche.
Have any thoughts or questions? Just leave me a comment below and I would get back to you as soon.
You may also be interested to read;