After many years of working in a stressful working environment, I knew something has to change. It’s time to prioritize what really matters; my personal wellbeing and spending time with my loved ones. To achieve these goals, I realized it’s important to figure out how to make my own money outside of the monotonous 9-5. From a long-term standpoint, I need to know how to run a business that isn’t only financially fulfilling but also time rewarding.
So I thought since it’s so common nowadays, why not do it online? Without any experience, I scoured the web for directions and eventually landed on Wealthy Affiliate. Like most people, I had my doubts. Is this place legit? Will I waste money again as I did with other programs in the past? After testing it for a month, I discovered so many opportunities I never knew existed.
From then on, I was hooked. So in 2014, I launched this blog with the primary goal of pursuing Time Freedom. There was nothing impressive at the beginning; my site was ugly, and I could barely write a 500-word article. But hey, I wasn’t ready to give up. Like a sponge, I soaked up every single piece of information and put them to practice.
Slowly but surely, I finally made my first dollar online;
This eight dollars may seem like a small sum, but at that point, it meant a whole world to me. It proves that making money online isn’t a gimmick. If I can scale the effort, I can potentially make more. True enough, over the years, I receive numerous payouts and it feels great to be one step closer to achieving my Time Freedom.
Even during the COVID-19 pandemic which has shattered many businesses and left many people jobless, my blog is still generating income to this day. For that, I am thankful. I’m so glad I picked up this valuable skillset, and I think you should too. The knowledge will have its time and place to shine when you truly need it.
So what are you actually getting from Wealthy Affiliate? Let’s take a look inside.
The Core Training – Affiliate Marketing
Wealthy Affiliate (WA) is essentially a training platform that teaches you how to start and thrive with affiliate marketing. Why affiliate marketing you asked? Because it’s one of the most feasible ways to making money online.
- You don’t need to own any products except for a website.
- It’s okay if you aren’t an expert in anything (if you’re good at something, it’s always a bonus).
- There are more affiliate programs now than ever as e-commerce becomes the norm.
- There are plenty of attractive sales commissions to choose from.
As long as you have some basic computer skills AND the motivation to learn, you can start with zero experience, just like me.
The core training is brought to you by Kyle, a successful online marketer who’s also the founder of WA. Also known as the Online Entrepreneurship Certification (OEC), this training is comprised of five levels that will walk you through the process of discovering a profitable niche, building an audience and generating traffic. Then, there’s also the Affiliate Bootcamp, if you’re interested in make-money-online topics.
Due to the sheer number of programs/coaching/masterminds that are just bursting on the internet nowadays, it’s considered a highly competitive niche but it’s also where commissions are the most lucrative. If you’re up for the challenge, Affiliate Bootcamp is probably a good place to start.
In this training, there are two essential skills you’ll benefit from; creating content with WordPress and researching keywords. As you know, building a website can be a daunting process for many beginners, but this isn’t going to be the case if you’re using WA’s hosting service. In fact, this was a selling point for me.
Back in 2014, it only took me minutes to get this blog up and running. In the past, I actually paid $600+ for a website-building course and got nothing out of it. Later, I found that WordPress is a much better platform; it’s all-encompassing, it’s scalable and definitely more Google-friendly than any other type of web-builders out there.
Don’t believe me? Just enter a site name here and test it for yourself.
Now, what’s the next thing to do after you’ve got a site? You need to fill it with content, specifically keyword-targeted content because a good choice of keywords can attract the right audience. That’s the basis of traffic generation. You may not know this yet, but there are a plethora of keywords waiting to be discovered every single day.
Therefore, it’s a smart practice to always use keyword tools to analyse and select the best keywords for their content. WA’s keyword tool of choice is called Jaaxy, and as part of the training, you’ll have the privilege of using it to;
- reveal low competition but highly profitable niche keywords
- brainstorm real-time keyword ideas from search engines
- organize keywords so that you’ll never run low on content ideas
- find out who your top competitors are for a particular keyword
- analyse your site ranking for a keyword so that you know where to improvise
These may sound technical, but I assure you they’re not. Jaaxy is actually quite easy (and fast) to use once you get the hang of it. When I discovered what keyword research is all about, it opens up a world of endless and exciting opportunities. In the business sense, it means finding new opportunities and carving a market out of it.
Do you have a keyword in mind? Why not run it through Jaaxy to find out more.
Now, if you’re someone who likes to learn through videos, there are live classes to tune into every week. These training resources are always growing and are hosted by a small number of experts, teaching you the latest marketing techniques such as writing product reviews, tweaking your website, scaling your business for profits and etc.
The archive actually goes as far back as 2012 so there’s a lot of stuff to learn, but I do recommend starting from 2 to 3 years back if you want to keep up with the recent topics.
Another feature that compliments the core training is called the Affiliate Program Search, and it’s linked to affiliate networks such as CJ, ShareASale, Rakuten or Clickbank. Now, most people usually start with the Amazon Associate Program but this giant marketplace has somewhat lost its popularity after the company slashed massive commission payouts sometime in 2020.
So it’s always good to check out other affiliate programs for new product ideas and better commissions. This feature lets you discover offers based on popular categories, popular keywords and trending opportunities — all in one click. Besides that, you can easily compare program details (as shown below) without having to go in and out of each individual network.
Overall, the most valuable thing you’ll be learning through the core training is free traffic generation. Why free traffic you asked?
Firstly, it doesn’t cost you anything apart from the time spent on creating content. Secondly, you get to work with different keywords and see what converts and what doesn’t before actually paying for traffic. Thirdly, free traffic is a good source of passive income that requires very minimal maintenance once you’ve become an authority within a niche.
Who Should Join the Training
In essence, the core training is open to anyone who wants to step into the online marketing space to make some side cash, create multiple income streams or simply start a small business. Since its inception, the WA community has attracted members from a myriad of backgrounds.
We have college students, part-timers, professionals, stay at home moms/dads, retirees; everyone comes here to learn how to make money online the right way without having to spend a fortune. The following success stories speak for themselves.
#1 – Kev is an ex-police officer turned affiliate marketer. He made his first sales commission in just one week after launching his niche website.
#2 – Edy is a college student from Indonesia and 6 months into the training, he was able to achieve more than 3K visitors to his niche site.
#3 – Brook joined in 2013 and write reviews about products/services that help people make money online. This was one of his monthly income reports.
#4 – Wendy had a college degree but switched gear to affiliate marketing after she graduated. She became a super affiliate in 2016 and got the chance to finally meet Kyle and Carson in Las Vegas!
#5 – Evan spent his free time in the college building an online business. In less than a year, he finally became his own boss.
It just goes to show that the training actually works. If these ‘regular’ people can make it, why can’t you, right?
Wealthy Affiliate Membership Plans
So how much does it cost to join WA? Well, depending on where you’re coming from, there are three options;
- Starter ($0) is the choice for beginners who just want to test things out before upgrading.
- Premium ($49/month, $495/year) is my recommended plan for those who want to go through all levels of training, have access to support and start making real money.
- Premium Plus ($95/month, $995/year) is the package to go with if you want to get experts’ insights, power up your website performance and business profit.
This table summarizes what you’ll be getting out of each package.
WA isn’t the only affiliate marketing education on the internet but it’s definitely one that’s been churning out successful entrepreneurs for more than a decade now. The platform has always played by its strength and never compromise for anything less.
- Confucius has a saying that goes “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.” And that’s very true with the training at WA because most of them are task-oriented. There’s always something to do after each lesson so that you can implement and improve on what you learn. That’s why you’re taught from the beginning to build a website and do keyword research within the platform itself.
- The training applies to all kinds of niches. I know, some niches can be more challenging than others but the fundamentals are the same. Once you have a good grasp of it, you can replicate the process by creating multiple niche sites. Remember, WA can support up to 50 Premium sites per account. More sites equal more income streams, right?
- Their technical support is one of the best I’ve ever encountered. Whenever my site is down or I need to add a new code, they always help out promptly. Most issues were resolved within minutes; the longest I had to wait was only about an hour or so.
- There’s a system in place to help you earn while you learn and it comes in the form of credits. Each time you contribute something to the community, you’ll build credits that can be converted into cash. The amount then can either be used to pay your membership fee or help others if you feel like paying it forward. The choice is yours.
- Upsells and marketing scams are frowned upon here so you won’t find any of these within the platform. The trainers are real people who are passionate about delivering quality education that produces results in a safe learning environment.
WA does have its own imperfections if you will when it comes to these areas;
- Firstly, you won’t find a lot of training on eCommerce or local marketing. There are some in the archive, but there isn’t a lot as that’s not the core training here. Every once in a while, Jay may do classes on local marketing because that’s one of his skillsets. Otherwise, it’s not something you’d commonly see in the training.
- WA tends not to delete older training from years back so if you come across any of these, it may be confusing as it doesn’t reflect the current settings. Online marketing is a fast evolving field; what you learned from last year might not be applicable this year so you may want to stick to training that are created in recent years.
- Because members can also contribute to training and discussion threads, the information inputs can be overwhelming sometimes. I certainly had my fair share of that in the beginning as I tried to follow everything and everyone.
- Lastly, it takes time to see results. Building traffic is likened to an experiment. Some niches naturally take longer than others to succeed; some marketing techniques will work for others but may not work for you. And here’s where a lot of people pull the plug when things don’t turn out the way they expected.
Ready to Start Your Own Online Business?
After all this sharing, I sure hope so. Personally, working on my site every day feels exciting because I was able to explore my creativity (and obviously make money) without limits, something that wasn’t possible before with my day job. I could see time freedom becoming a reality as my site grows but definitely not with my 9-5 work schedule.
What about you? Where do you see yourself 5 to 10 years down the road? Still doing the same thing? If you’re happy with that, good for you. But if there’s a little voice in you that wants to achieve something bigger and better, then I invite you to join Wealthy Affiliate today. It doesn’t cost anything to get started. Let your ideas run free and build an online business you can be proud of.
See you on the other side 🙂