Online business training is becoming quite popular these days. If you are new to the scene, you might have heard of a program called SiteSell. What is SiteSell all about? Is this the right course to help you start an online business? I took it for a test run and discovered some pros – and cons. Here’s the gist.
What Is SiteSell?
SiteSell is a Canadian-based company founded in 1997 by Ken Evoy. They offer two types of training courses – the “SBI”(Site Build It) which is a comprehensive business-building system and the “SBI for WordPress” which comes with tools to integrate into a WordPress website. They claimed to provide innovative marketing tools and educational resources to support their customer base of more than 130, 000 customers.
What Is Inside The Course
I’ve chosen to review the “SBI for WordPress” program here because I believe that this platform offers more advantages for business growth over simple website builders that are being offered through the “SBI” program.
The WordPress version is a 10 steps/days course that will walk you through the basics – from niche research, keyword generation and eventually, building traffic to your site. Here’s a quick preview of the topics that you can expect.
- Day 1 – Master important basics
- Day 2 – Research, Evaluate and Select Your Niche
- Day 3 – Add structural content
- Day 4 – Monetization options
- Day 5 – Purchase domain and hosting
- Day 6 – Set up a WordPress site (using WordPress.org)
- Day 7 – Build free traffic
- Day 8 – Develop business relationship
- Day 9 – Analyze your traffic
- Day 10 – Monetize your site
Along the course, you’ll be using their in-house research tool called “Brainstorm It” to find your niche and targeted keywords. Once you have everything in place, you can import the list over to your WordPress site using their customized plugin called “SBI for WP”, which is a software that you need to download onto your computer.
How Much Does It Cost
“SBI for WordPress” offers a free 30-day trial (no credit card required) that gives you access to all the 10 lessons mentioned above. After that, it will cost $17/month or $149/year for a subscription. This fee DOES NOT include domain and hosting services.
If you prefer the “SBI” program which is less technical, it would cost $29.90/month or $299/year for subscription. No free trial is offered at this point of writing.
They also offer a niche and keyword research tool called the “Brainstorm It” that works based on credit acquisition. For trial users, you get 10 free searches (niche and keywords combined) in the beginning. After you have used up those credits, you need to purchase in order to conduct more research. The fee; $20 for 100 credits and $50 for 500 credits.
I’ve been involved in the online marketing business for some time now and rarely, I would come across anything that is legitimate or resourceful. So I applaud SiteSell for joining the league in setting a higher benchmark for the industry.
- The course delivers very extensive information on what business owners should be practicing (content creation, building good quality traffic, etc.) and doesn’t advocate any blackhat techniques.
- The course layout is structured and organized in such a way that it helps the flow of learning.
- I like that they walk-through WordPress customization using themes/plugins since this step can be very intimidating for beginners.
- Their support system is surprisingly quick to respond to my technical problem – in less than 5 minutes!
- If you are looking to add a monetization stream, it’s interesting to know that SiteSell also offers an affiliate program, which starts from 60% in sales commission.
Now, not all systems are perfect and the SiteSell training site has a few things that bug me.
- There are broken links in the course layout which lead me to nowhere. That’s a bit disappointing as I thought they should be up-to-date. Also, all the teachings are in text form which can be a bit overwhelming to learn.
- The “Brainstorm It” tool is not the easiest to work with and I find that the user interface is a little bit outdated. Instead of producing you with instant results, you need to add filters in order to organize keywords into groups and their competition level. Despite setting my filters for long tail keywords, their results aren’t as satisfactory as compared to Jaaxy.
- This will cost you a lot of time spent in keyword research when you could be writing content instead. Plus, it takes almost 1 minute for the tool to load the keyword list. And oh, do you remember the part that you need to buy search credits to use this tool? That sounds like a bit of an up-sell to me.
- I like training sites that come with forums, but the SiteSell discussion area is quite outdated from my point of view. Everything is stuffed into one page, I can’t tell which is the latest discussion thread and I don’t know who I should connect with. Wouldn’t you be confused if you end up on a page like this?
- They don’t provide an in-house domain registration and hosting, which means members need to search for external services and hook things up themselves. For those who aren’t technologically challenged, this process can be a very frustrating one.
So, as much as I want to give them a 5 star, I can’t because I personally know of a training site that offers about the same membership fee, BUT delivers way more robust learning tools and community support.
Introducing Wealthy Affiliate
At WAU, the technical part of creating an online business has been simplified for you. Hosting, domain and training are all provided through the same platform.
Whether you are doing local business or affiliate marketing, you can benefit from at least one (if not all) of the training tutorials AND live webinars. Courses and forums are integrated in such a way that you can learn with ease and reach out to other members when you are in need of help.
Here’s a quick comparison between the two training sites.
I hope this article has given you an in-depth review on what SiteSell is all about or if you should choose this program to kickstart your business online. I am more than happy to take your questions. Just leave them in the comment area below and I’ll respond the soonest.
You may also be interested in;