The internet is never short of resources that can show you how to start an online business. This week, I come across another site called Marketing University and it seems pretty thorough. So, what is Marketing University and what can you expect from their training courses? This review will provide a much-needed answer and guidance.
Marketing University at a Glance
This site isn’t very much heard of online, but if you’re on Facebook, you may have read about them before.
1) The facilitator for the courses is Armand Morin, an experienced internet marketer, author and motivational speaker who has been active in the scene for the past 20 plus years.
2) The entire learning is structured like a library format, where there are different marketing topics to choose from, at no particular order or any level of learners.
3) The teaching method is mainly through video tutorial in which a lesson can span between 7 to 45 minutes per session. No downloads, no notes or cheat sheets whatsoever.
4) Despite its name, the training is not an accredited educational institution, which means, it doesn’t provide any certification upon the completion about a particular course.
5) The fee of the course is based on a monthly subscription at $47/month or $447/year. (Note: There seems to be contradicting information in regards to this because when I signed up, that’s what the fine print says on my account dashboard, but in the official homepage, Armand stated that it is $97/month instead). Anyways, you still get a 2 week trial (for $1) to think about it before you commit to the payment.
My First Impression of The Site
When I first come across the site, I could tell that Armand is someone who knows his stuff and puts it out very professionally. It’s obvious that his main objective is to teach so he doesn’t pull all those upsells, promotions or marketing gimmicks like what you would often see with other sites. It kind of reminds me of the Lynda learning platform.
The signup process was seemingly easy. You just need to fill out your credit card information, retrieve the password that’s delivered to your email and within seconds, you are in the course area.
I wasted no time in checking out the training materials and found a few things that I like about it.
1) Firstly, the video quality is really good and because Armand is a professional speaker, the delivery of his content comes out loud and clear. You probably would have guessed from the video above.
2) His courses cover a wide variety of topics in the area of modern marketing and judging from the video length, one can pretty much say that his explanation is very elaborate. For example, he covers the WordPress setup process very thoroughly and that’s good.
Just to give you an overview, here are some of the important topics that you can learn from him;
- Video Creation Secrets – Learn how to master the art of recording videos live in person, phone, tablet or desktop.
- Google Advertising – Learn how to utilize Google to drive targeted traffic to your website.
- WordPress – Learn how to set up and what plugins you should use for your WordPress website.
- Behavioral Marketing – Learn how to treat prospects and customers based on consumer behavior.
- Easy Product Creation – Learn to create your own (digital) product and sell online with proven methods.
3) Besides running Marketing University, Armand also conducts live training classes in a few locations across the United States and you can see all these activities on his Facebook profile. The good thing is that these trainings are then added into the archive so technically, you can expect a new course for every month.
4) Most of the courses are actually geared towards creating one’s product/services through video marketing, webinars or membership site in order to grow a more sustainable business income. Hence, it’s good training for those with this plan in mind.
As much as I respect Armand’s expertise, I feel that there are a few things in this training that can be improved for a better learning experience.
1) Firstly, those long video presentations can actually sabotage one’s concentration. Without notes for reference and a checklist, one can actually lose track from the one-way learning method that Armand applies. I certainly found myself in that situation while watching one of those tutorials.
2) Some of the topics are quite technical for instance, I don’t see the need for manual WordPress installation or hiring someone from Fiverr to do the job when there are so many hosting platforms available that offer one-click installation without hassle. It’s good to be geeky, but for inexperienced people who want to start a business online, the majority will prefer a much simpler approach. Wouldn’t you?
3) Since it works as a library format, there’s actually no course sequence for anyone to follow. For example, someone who’s totally new in the field would pick a course like Google Advertising without having any prior knowledge about keyword research.
Or someone would jump into the topic of conversion without learning what their niche is all about. This unsystematic approach can be overwhelming for some people and confusing as to what is what.
4) If you are coming in to learn about affiliate marketing, eCommerce or drop shipping, you wouldn’t find many resources here for sure. As mentioned before, it is more geared towards one’s own product creation and getting started from there.
5) Lastly, there’s no forum area or any avenue of asking Morin questions on the site. In order to do so, you’ll need to go onto their Facebook page where there is more interaction between the members and the tutor himself.
So, Is Marketing University Worth Joining
Judging from all the activities that I’ve seen, you can rest assured that this is a legitimate training site. The only benefit that I can see from the membership is probably the addition of a new course every month. As for everything else, I found that the courses are more suitable for intermediate learners than beginners.
If you belong to the latter category, you’ll require something more guided like what they have inside Wealthy Affiliate. In fact, their comprehensive training is also beneficial to marketers of any levels.
Here’s a quick peek into what’s offered within their membership features.
Overall, I hope that this review has given you a clear understanding of what you can (and can’t) gain from the training at Marketing University. If you are still stuck in making a choice, why not come and have a look inside Wealthy Affiliate (for free – no credit card required) and I’ll personally show you how to build a successful online business from scratch.
Hope to see you on the inside.
Question – What type of online business are you looking to start? Have you found a training that works for you? Perhaps I could help if you leave your comment below.