I am pretty sure you have seen other review blogs that come with fancy boxes and star ratings. And you are probably thinking of doing the same thing. Well, WP Product Review Lite is what you’ll need and today, I’ll be showing how to create a review page in just a few easy steps using this plugin.
What Exactly Is a Review Page?
First thing first, before we jump into the fancy stuff, let’s go back to the basic of writing a product review. Essentially, it’s a monetizing page/post for affiliate marketers. But practically, it’s a product centered content that’s meant to show the benefits and drawbacks of a good or service to potential customers.
A good product review can draw a lot of discussion and comments from the online space and help people to decide on their purchases conclusively. More than that, it is a social proof that a company or brand has engaged with real users to provide unbiased opinions about their products. That gives potential customers some level of trust to invest in something that’s likely worth their money.
The Benefits of Using a Plugin
So, if you already have a compact product review, why is there a need for a plugin?
Well, imagine yourself reading one or multiple reviews. Which one is easier to digest – a long article or a concise summary? I am pretty sure you’ll opt for the latter. This doesn’t mean that lengthy review is bad. It’s just nice to have the option to skip to something that’s straightforward when you need to make a quick comparison. And when they are ready, a link (which is your affiliate link) can easily be located for purchase.
The other benefit that has everyone raving about this type of plugin is the visualization effect and engagement. First and foremost, the presentation comes in a form of a box that is organized and easy for the eyes to read. When optimized correctly, it will display star ratings on the rich snippet that could potentially lead to more click through rate, more traffic and ultimately, more sales conversion on the review page. So, who wouldn’t want that, right?
WP Product Review Lite at a Glance
This plugin is created by ThemeIsle and it can be downloaded for free from the WordPress depository. To date, it has a rating of 4.5/5 from more than 50,000 active users.
The plugin is constantly updated and comes with a variety of customization features. There’s also a Pro version which can customize rating icons, create comparison tables and integrate with Amazon.
For simplicity purposes, I’ll be demonstrating the setup process using the free version of the plugin.
How to Set It Up
In your WordPress dashboard, search for the plugin that says WP Product Review Lite as shown below.
Proceed to install, activate and the feature marked with a star logo will appear on the left hand panel. The plugin is basically divided into four different settings.
1 – General Settings – Under this setting, you can;
- Determine the placement of the review box
- Allow visitors to influence the review score
- Fix the number of pros and cons
- Change the width of the review box to suit your WordPress theme
- Enable rich snippet
- And enable AMP for the box to look mobile responsive
Most of the options to the settings is pretty much choosing between yes or no so it’s pretty straightforward in that sense.
2 – Rating Colors – This settings influence visualization and the options are preferential. Basically, you’ll pick certain colors (various gradients available) to go with the different rating scales.
3 – Typography – This setting influence the text color that would appear on the review box and like the previous one, it’s pretty intuitive.
4 – Buy Button – Over here, you get to customize the ‘buy’ button in terms of the color, text and border
After saving all the changes in the settings, go over to a review page/post and scroll to the bottom of the WordPress editor. You should be able to see a column that says “Product Review Extra Settings” and here’s where we are going to customize the review box specifically for a product.
Firstly, there’s the template selection, but for the free account, you are only limited to one choice. Subsequently, the following product details need to be filled out.
- Product Name – This refers to the product good or service that is being reviewed.
- Product Image – Select an image that you want to be featured in the review box.
- Product Image Click – Decide what will happen when visitors click on the image.
- Affiliate Button Text – What type of call-to-action will you put on the first (left hand side) button?
- Affiliate Link – Enter an affiliate link.
- Affiliate Button Text 2 – This is the second call-to-action button.
- Affiliate Link 2 – And here goes the second affiliate link.
- Product Price – Enter the selling price of the product or service
The next step is to fill out the product grading along with the Pros and Cons. For every review, you can list up to 10 features and grade them between 0 to 100. And then, proceed to describe the Pros and Cons in a few short phrases and that’s pretty much it. The finishing touch will look something like this;
In case I’ve lost you somewhere in the explanation above, here’s a quick video to help you understand the entire set up process.
Words of Caution
Typically, this plugin is fun to work with, but just like any implementation of a WordPress site, it’s important to set the right expectation from the very beginning
- WP Product Review Lite is a complement add-on – not a substitute – to a comprehensive product review. You still need to do your product research, produce good quality content before summarizing the entire context with a review box. Treating it like a shortcut solution will have detrimental effects to your blog as well as your credibility as a reviewer.
- The plugin should ONLY be applied to review related articles AND NOT on every post as it will not make sense to the readers.
- Yes, the plugin can enhance your rich snippets, but the effect isn’t immediate. There are a variety of factors that influence the way Google ‘read’ articles on the web and having rating stars will not guarantee a spot in the top 10 rankings. In any case, it’s
- certainly not a magic bullet that will skyrocket traffic to your page.
- This plugin isn’t the only one that can create a review box so it’s not compulsory to use it. There are other free options available on WordPress if you like to try different styles or settings.
- Just like most things with WordPress, adding plugins can have technical implications. If you are concerned that it will clash with your concurrent plugins, themes or slow down your site, then it’s best to run it on a dummy site first. To get one, simply enter a domain below to create a free WordPress site for a test.
Boost Your Review With Rating Stars
The reason I choose to feature this plugin is because it’s easy to use and set up. Nothing too fancy, but it does deliver the job even with a free version. The plugin is fairly compatible and it’s highly recommended by my affiliate marketing community.
Well, I hope you’ve found some golden nuggets in this quick tutorial. If you like a more thorough walk through on how to create a review page with rating stars, please check out this webinar. For more questions or comments, just leave them in the space below and I’d be happy to respond.