The title pretty much speaks for itself. Disney is a brand we are all familiar with and their affiliate program has been going on since 2009. Yup for the past 8 years, someone has been earning commissions from this multi-billion dollar company through the online space. If you want to be part of the fun, then this review is written especially for you.
The Program(s) at a Glance
There are actually 3 types of programs related to Disney and they can be found in the CJ Network (previously known as Commission Junction). Creating an account is free and you can easily lookup for the information through the user dashboard. Each program serves a different purpose and the offers also vary.
#1 – Shop Disney (the US)
Even though Shop Disney is categorized under the ‘Toys’ category, the program is linked to all merchandise sold through the official online store which includes apparel, stationery as well as home decor. It offers 2% sales commissions, a 10 day referral period and judging from the network earning of ⅘, it seems to have a good conversion online too.
#2 – Shop Disney (the UK)
This is another online store except that it targets the UK region. Likewise, it also carries a lot of merchandise, but the commission stands higher at 4% and the referral period is up to 30 days.
#3 – Walt Disney World (the UK)
This program targets the UK market, especially people who visit Florida for vacation each year. On the site, they provide booking services for theme parks in Florida and Paris as well as cruises in the Mediterranean, Caribbean and the Bahamas. It also has
Now you must be thinking – what about the travel bookings for US visitors. Apparently, there isn’t any affiliation for the US site at this point in time, but upon further research, I found a way to go around it.
#4 – Undercover Tourist (nothing to do with the act of undercover)
This is a vacation booking site that provides online discount tickets and the Disney travel packages are just one of them. According to the program data, 90% of online visitors come from the US so this would be the most appropriate site to be affiliated with. The program comes with a 30 day referral period and the commission structure is as follows.
- $1 per ticket booking
- 1% on car rentals
- 1% on hotels
By now, it’s pretty obvious that Disney not only has products but also travel services to leverage from. That means, the opportunity to make money is more diverse and there are many ways you can promote the brand online.
Breaking Down The Niche
Disney itself can be considered a broad niche. Hence, it wouldn’t be a good idea to promote everything because you aren’t targeting an audience. If you can be more specific within a particular category, it would create more interest and attract more targeted buyers.
This approach works well within the online environment because users search for specific things when they go on Google. In online stores, there are several categories such as baby clothing, toys, home decoration, and gift ideas. These are all good sub-niches to get into because there’s a specific audience profile in mind.
On the other hand, travel bookings would be a different niche altogether because it involved vacation planning and bigger expenditure. So the mentality of the potential customers is certainly different from those who just want to buy a small physical item.
Narrowing down the niche also correlates with your skills and knowledge within a certain area. If you are an expert in home furnishing, then promoting home decor products from Disney would make a lot of sense. If you are an avid vacation explorer, then affiliating with Disney booking sites will be more appropriate versus promoting their merchandise. I hope that makes sense to you.
Now before you get overly excited, there are a few things to be aware of when affiliating with the brand as they could influence the way you approach the audience.
The Appeal Factors
- Disney isn’t only popular, but it’s also reputable so when you associate with the brand, your recommendation will appear more trustworthy and worth spending from the consumer’s point of view.
- Since the company is also involved in the media and entertainment industry, it’s common to find new themes associated with their products every year. This increases the opportunity to constantly offer fresh ideas for your audience.
- While there are other stores selling Disney merchandise, the official stores are by far, the ones that carry the most variety and genuine products for selection.
- The online store experience is very customer-friendly. The product pages have a nice layout, captivating images and customer reviews, all of which can help to convert visitors into shoppers.
- Their theme parks and cruise packages are luxury travel destinations that interest many holiday-makers. This type of service is likely to convert very well during the holiday seasons.
The Challenging Factors
- Over the years, many manufacturers have tried to imitate the brand so it’s not uncommon to see counterfeit Disney products online. This could pose a little bit of competition in the market that you are trying to attract.
- Likewise, genuine products can also be found on big online stores like Amazon. Customers who have membership from those sites are more likely to buy from there.
- The commission rate from the official store (US) is actually lower compared to that of Amazon which pays about 4% and above. That means, for the same product, you could earn more per sale on Amazon.
- Since Disney physical shops can be found in many major cities around the world, some people may prefer to shop there versus going online.
With that in mind, let’s see how you can start making money with this fun niche.
How to Get Started
One of the best ways to promote affiliate products is through a website or a blog because it allows you to create as much content as you want such as how-to articles, product reviews, and even your own personal experience.
So get hold of a good domain name that’s reflective of a specific niche and link it to WordPress. Set up the site with a nice theme, an SEO plugin and you are pretty much good to go.
The most important thing for new sites to acquire is traffic. Without traffic, there will be no visitors, no potential customers, and no sales. Creating content is the number one key to getting traffic and you would do so using targeted keywords. These keywords can be generated from a variety of places that are easily accessible to you.
To help you get started, I’ve come up with a list of long-tail low-competition keywords to inspire some content ideas so feel free to use them if they are relevant to your niche.
- Disney themed wedding invitations
- Disney princess makeup tutorial
- Mickey mouse costume for toddler
- Disney games for ps4
- Disney princess costumes for adults
- Disney animal kingdom review
- How to book a Disney cruise
- What to pack for a Disney vacation
- Which Disney hotels have family suites
- Things do in Disneyland Florida
If you like to search for more ideas, feel free to use the tool below by entering a keyword of your choice.
What Is Your Disney Inspiration
Disney is a brand that we all know and love. And I have no doubt that the company will continue to thrive in their business with more creative products and services in the future. Whether you are an enthusiast or looking for some fun ideas, there’s definitely something in the realm of the Disney affiliate program for you to earn some money. I hope this has been a good brainstorming session on what kind of niche you can explore and what type of keywords to use with this niche.
For more information about growing a successful affiliate income, please check out my recommended training platform here, and if you have anything to ask or add, just leave your comment below. I look forward to hearing from you.