Do you have a certain set of skills that you want to monetize from? Graphic designing, learn cooking, jewelry making – these are some of the popular topics that people are searching for online. If want an easy way to start, then you’ve probably heard of Fiverr. But, can you make money on Fiverr for the long term? Let’s find out more in this review.
What Is Fiverr?
Launched in 2009, Fiverr is an online marketplace where buyers search for creative talents/skills and pay a minimum of $5 in exchange for a digital service or product – also known as gigs. The platform currently hosts more than 1 million gigs online and is a popular choice for freelancers to generate some extra income.
How Can You Make Money on Fiverr?
To create a gig, you need to set up an account with Fiverr first. Under your profile tab, go to My Sales > Create a Gig and then follow through these 5 steps.
(1) Create a New Gig – Describe your gig with captivating titles and images to support your work portfolios.
(2) Configure Extra – Offer additional services such as faster delivery or extra creation for a fee. By doing extra gig, you can earn up to $300 per order.
(3) Upload a Video – make a video (about 60 seconds will do) to showcase your work for better conversion.
(4) Add Shipping Charges – If the end result is a physical product that needs to be delivered, you need to list the shipping charges for different destinations.
(5) Publish and Promote – After publishing, you’ll be able to find your gig listed on the marketplace. Here’s how published gigs look like within a subcategory.
Looks pretty easy, right?
The Advantages of Selling on Fiverr
If you are new to freelancing, these features in Fiverr will appeal to you;
- Listing your gigs is fairly easy.
- You don’t need to pay any fees up-front in order to publish your gigs.
- You don’t need to pay for maintaining any websites.
- For a small amount of fee, you get to do what you like at your own flexibility.
The Disadvantage of Selling on Fiverr
However, there is a caveat behind all the simplicity that you see.
- You don’t get to keep all the $5 to yourself. In actual fact, Fiverr takes 20% in commission and PayPal charge 2.9% + 0.3 cents for each transaction. So after doing the math, you are only earning $3.58 from your sale. On top of that, you have to wait for 2 weeks before you can actually do a cash-out.
- Since listing is free, Fiverr becomes a very competitive marketplace. If your gigs belong to a popular category, you may see your listing get pushed down (and out of sight) by tomorrow to give way to new sellers.
- It’s tough to get noticed for your gigs as a new seller unless you actively promote your links on websites, social networks or forums.
- You have no control over the seller rating and level system. If a buyer isn’t satisfied with your service and gave you a negative review, it automatically gets shown on your profile unless you report them to the Fiverr team.
- If you do become a popular seller – getting 10’s of orders (or more) a day – you need to make sure that you can deliver your service as promised. At the very least, you need to have a backup team.
- Even as a top level seller, your skills will always be overshadowed by the fact that you are just another Fiverr seller. You can’t truly create an online presence through your own branding.
So, Is Fiverr Worthy of Your Time?
After weighing the pros and cons, I would personally encourage that you leverage your skills/talent independently through an online business. By creating your own business website, you can monetize from;
- Consultation services
- Selling physical or digital products
- Offer structured online courses
- Affiliate programs related to your expertise
At the very least, you get to fix your service rate and you’ll have better control in communicating with your customers online. Fiverr is okay for beginners as a stepping stone to try things out online, but if you are thinking of growing long term income, you are not going to make a lot of money there.
# Note – If you are thinking of rendering automated, plagiarized or low quality service on Fiverr, save yourself from the trouble. It will only harm your own reputation.
Starting an online business isn’t really that difficult and search engines like Google are more than happy to send you targeted audience for your service if you know how to implement keyword research on your site.
For example, if you are good at designing T-shirts, you can use the following keyphrases to attract more visitors.
If you are good at cooking, here are some interesting keyphrases to consider;
If you are good in jewelry, take these keyphrases and run with it.
Can you see the potential of just one single keyphrase? As your website grows, you’ll be adding more of them and thus generating constant stream of visitors for months and years to come. That’s how you make sustainable income online.
If all these keyword research talk is confusing for you, don’t worry. Wealthy Affiliate has some awesome training to help you start your own online business from scratch. Here are some of the tools that you can benefit from WA in comparison to Fiverr.
I hope this review has shed some light as to whether you can truly make money on Fiverr or not. Perhaps you are now more inspired to use your skills for what it’s worth. Start your training here for for free and see what you can achieve instead as an online entrepreneur. I’ll be there to help you out so hope to talk to you soon.
Do you have any thoughts or questions about this topic? Let us know in the comment area below and I’ll get back to you.
You may also be interested to read;