Recently, I have been getting a lot of positive comments about the appearance of my blog and some are even asking for advice on how to improve on theirs. The truth is, I didn’t even know anything about website creation until a year ago. Like most beginners, I started with a basic WordPress theme and gradually discovered my preference for premium themes.
So I thought it would be a good idea to write an article, showing how you too can use Genesis to build a fantastic business website (just like mine).
What Is Genesis?
Genesis is a software created by StudioPress, a company that designs premium themes for WordPress websites. It is a very popular choice for beginners to advanced bloggers. This software is like a framework that contains the nuts and bolts to make your website more powerful, optimized and secured.
For more designs and customization, you can choose from a variety of child themes that suits to your niche.
How Does It Work?
Before you get started with Genesis, you must first create a WordPress website. Genesis will not work with the simple drag-and-drop website builders. If you are using any of these, see if you can move your blog to WordPress instead.
(1) Choose a Theme
Next, head over to Studiopress site and browse through their theme collection. To learn more about a particular child theme, read the theme details by paying attention to a few things.
- A layout is similar to the anatomy of a website. It provides a pathway for navigation so, the more simple the layout, the easier it is for people to read your blog post, one after another.
- Ideally, you want to choose a theme that comes with an HTML 5 markup. In layman’s term, this simply means that the theme is using the latest language to structure and present content on the Internet.
- As of April 2015, Google has added mobile friendliness as a prerequisite for site ranking, so you should also be using a mobile responsive theme for yours.
- Next, check out the demo to have a feel of how the theme looks like. Explore the different layouts, templates variation and color selection and see which one suits you the most.
- You may also be interested to see how your site would look like on a mobile device.
(2) Install the Theme
In order for a theme to work, it must have the Genesis framework. So, when you download a theme on the computer, you are actually getting the framework and the theme at the same time.
To install, you just need to upload the frame and the theme onto your WordPress site. Here’s a quick video on how this is done.
On your dashboard, you’ll find a Genesis icon and under ‘Theme Settings’ is where you select all the customization that comes with the theme.
(3) Customize Your Theme
This step is completely optional. You can go with the default settings that comes with your theme OR you can choose to change the style and design completely, just like what I did with mine. It would involve some code tweaking in the theme editor and can be a steep learning curve if you haven’t done this before.
My suggestion is that you watch a couple of YouTube video tutorials (there are some good ones that will show this process step-by-step) to have an idea before you proceed with your own customization.
How Much Does It Cost?
Genesis is a premium software, hence it comes with a price.
The Genesis framework itself cost $59.95 and the combination of framework plus themes can range between $79 to $99. If you are on a shoestring budget, the framework itself also functions as a theme. So it’s not always necessary to purchase a child theme. Learn to do some customization and your site will look just as good.
It’s also worth mentioning that the purchase is a one-time fee that comes with unlimited updates and technical support. When you are on Genesis, you can use Genesis-specific plugins/widgets (which are super cool) and install the same theme on multiple sites as well.
What Do People Say about It?
Here is the general consensus of what people think about Genesis from Studiopress.
- It’s easy to install. As you can see, one click to download and upload, you’ll get a Genesis powered website.
- The resources for Genesis themes are extensive. Website professionals, bloggers and entrepreneurs all have great things to say about the software.
- Yup, it’s a bit pricey, but there’s a good reason for that because they have really smart people working behind the scene to keep this software updated and optimized at all the time. I see it as a good business investment.
- The end result is outstanding. Genesis powered websites simply offer better designs and user experience.
- My personal experience with them has been great, especially with the technical support. They were prompt and resourceful. I would give them a 5 star.
Is Genesis Worthy of Your Time?
It took me 3 days to get my website up and running with the Genesis theme and that’s because I did some customization on my own. I wasn’t sure if I did a good job, but obviously after hearing the feedback, I knew it was worth the effort.
What’s more important is that Google also love my site 🙂 My web traffic has been growing steadily since the theme transition and it just hit a new high a few days ago.
Build a Strong Website Foundation
As Studiopress continues to develop on their platform, I am convinced that more people (even beginners) will learn to appreciate good quality websites. What’s more important, they rank so much better on the search engine because of their great features.
Are you interested to learn more about how to build a strong business website? Check out my recommended training platform here and I’ll show you.
“Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.”
– Steve Jobs
Do you have any thoughts or questions about using Genesis for your website? Please leave them in the comment area below and I’ll get back to you.
You may also want to read;