Starting an online business for a newbie can be very challenging – domain, website, hosting – how exactly do they work? So, out of convenience, it’s quite normal to choose a company that offers these 3 services in one platform. Name.com is one such company, but before you do anything, let’s find out from this review if Name.com is worth your money or not.
What Is Name.com?
Name.com is essentially a domain name registrar and web hosting company. Besides that, they also provide a website creation platform through their own version of website builders as well as the popular WordPress.org. It is established in 2003 and currently serves more than one million registered domains worldwide.
At a glance, Name.com’s official website is very easy to navigate and you can basically get the product information from the main menu. Here are some of the things that I like about their services.
1) They run some good promotion on new domain extensions such as .live, .news and .tech. This adds varieties to the generic ones (.com and .org) and although their ranking capability is unsure for now, we can expect more people to choose this type of names as more creative online businesses emerge.
2) The .com registration alone is quite cheap – $11/year.
3) The simple website builder platform offers people without any experiences to create their own websites. You can try it for free for 14 days.
4) WordPress hosting is also available through a one-click installation. So there’s no need to download the software.
The Not-So Good
Now, get ready for some upsells and some hard domain/hosting facts.
1) The domain registration fee doesn’t include privacy protection (WhoIs) and a website email. If you don’t know the importance, without a privacy protection, your personal information could leak onto the internet. Without a website email, your service looks less professional and visitors have no way of contacting you (unless you want to correspond through personal emails).
To get both of these, Name.com charges $3.99/year for WhoIs and a website email for $4.17/month (that’s $50/year). So in total, a complete domain purchase could cost you about $65 (domain fee + WhoIs + email). Pricey, uh?
2) The simple website builder is just another model of the drag-and-drop technology. While they may seem easy to use on the outside, this type of software always has some kind of hurdle whenever you want to get things done.
For example, the click-to-action lags, you get limited pages and you have to deal with multiple editing screens popping up at the same time. In the end, you could spend more time on the designing aspect than actually building a functional website.
3) However, if you really want to use the website builder platform, there are 3 types of plans to choose from – Basic, Pro and Business. The Business plan cost $19.99/month and it is the only one that can offer unlimited pages, storage, Google Analytics and custom styling. For a year, that’s $240. If you add in the full domain fee, the total amount could come up to $305.
The company does offer free domains for the first year, but bare in mind that if you are running an online business, you want to own your domain from the very beginning. And from the second year onwards, you still have to pay for whatever domain fee that applies.
4) When it comes to WordPress hosting, Name.com claims to use a fast and affordable solution called RapidPress. In actual fact, it is a shared hosting service, which means a single server is partitioned for use by several clients which can make your site less secure and reliable.
It also doesn’t give you an FTP access. That’s why all the 3 types of WordPress hosting are fairly cheap. When websites start to experience more traffic, it is quite common for webmasters to upgrade to better hosting facilities.
5) Name.com’s customer support is quite limited. You could get them at their email or fax, but phone calls are only available during their working hours. There is no live chat service at this point of writing.
What to Consider When Building a Business Website?
Without any experience, it can be difficult to foresee what you would need to build a successful business website. So I have summarized it into 3 simple criteria for you;
1) While it’s okay to be fancy, having a professional and easy to remember domain name is more important for growing a business. You can never go wrong with the .com extension.
2) A large part of your time would be spent on growing your online business. So, ideally, you want to find a cost effective platform to accommodate this for the long term. The WordPress software will not disappoint you.
3) You are not a web expert, so technical support is crucial in the early stage. Always research/review the support system of a company before you commit to their plans.
So, Is Name.com Worthy of Your Time?
The service is good for testing out simple website builders and learning about different hosting solutions. However, if you are serious about building a successful business website, I would recommend using a more powerful platform called SiteRubix.
Having used SiteRubix for more than 2 years now, here’s my unique take on the services that they provide.
1) It only costs $13.99/year for a .com registration and that fee also includes privacy protection and a website email.
2) Not only do you get to build your website on WordPress, you also have access to a premium cloud hosting platform, all in one plan.
3) You can also boost the quality of your web content with comments contributed by a community of online entrepreneurs.
4) The technical support is fast and efficient regardless of global time. They have helped me out a couple of times and I am very impressed with the outcome.
5) The platform also links to the programs at Wealthy Affiliate University that will put you on the right path of online entrepreneurship. Whether you are a local business owner or doing affiliate marketing, you’ll certainly benefit from the up-to-date tutorials and video training. It’s also worth mentioning that you won’t be subjected to any hypes or product up sells.
6) Here’s the best part. As a Starter member, you can build two WordPress websites, absolutely for FREE.
I hope this review has given you a better insight about Name.com and that you are now more knowledgeable about buying a business domain, building a website and connecting to a hosting service. If you need any help getting started, feel free to leave your comments below OR read more about the SiteRubix features here.
“Domain names and websites are internet real estate.” – Marc Ostrofsky.
You might also want to read;
Best Place To Buy Domain Names