Do you have items at home that you want to convert into cash or are you a dealer trying to sell a number of things? Then you have probably heard of Craigslist. Can you make money selling on it? Here are some tips to show you how it works, what to avoid and a better way of selling stuff online.
What Is Craigslist?
Craigslist is a classified advertisement website that list products and services, jobs and properties for sale in a certain locality. The service was launched in 1995 by founder Craig Newmark in San Francisco Bay Area and covers about 70 countries to date.
Despite the simplicity of the site, the online service attracts more than 40 million unique visitors per month.
How Does It Work?
Step 1 – To get started, you must first sign up for a user account with Craigslist. Once you have completed that and accept the terms and conditions, you can proceed to post your ad.
Step 2 – At your user dashboard, look for ‘new posting’ on the right side of your screen. Select your locality and hit ‘go’.
Step 3 – A new page would ask you to select the type of posting, so if you are selling something, it would either be 1) For Sale by Owner or 2) For Sale by Dealer.
Step 4 – Next, you need to choose the product category from the list above. Remember to also read the ‘prohibited’ list to make sure that your product doesn’t violate any of the regulations.
After that, you’ll be required to fill out the advertisement details as shown in the columns above. In this step, there are a few things that you should take note of.
- Due to the numbers of frauds, you are not advised to reveal your personal information in the contact details. It’s recommended to use the CL mail relay method as it safeguards both sellers and buyers at the same time. (* Craigslist is catered primarily for local dealings, which means the sellers and buyers will eventually meet each other and finalize the sale when the item is paid for by cash.)
- In order for your products to sell online, it’s important to make your advertisement title look interesting. However, avoid being too sales-pitch otherwise buyers may see it as a sign of scams.
- Do some research on Craigslist to see what are the values for similar products being sold. This would give you some idea on how to set a reasonable price for your own product.
- Describe the product to your best ability. Provide thorough (and honest) information about what you are selling and good quality images (you are allowed up to 24 images), so that buyers know that you meant serious business.
Once everything is complete, submit the ad and Craigslist team will send you a verification link via email to publish the ad. In case you want to make any correction to the ads, you can always edit them at your user dashboard.
Within minutes, your ad will be available for viewing, but it will expire within 45 days of posting. It’s also important to note that in every ad, there’s an option for viewers to flag your ad using the prohibited checkbox, if they find it inappropriate. This could cause your ad to be removed unexpectedly.
Here are some of the common reasons for posting removal on Craigslist.
How Much Does It Cost?
Product listing is totally free. Craigslist only charges fees for job listings, real estate rents and therapeutic services.
What Do People Say about Craigslist?
As demonstrated, it’s pretty easy to list an ad on Craigslist and it sells pretty fast if your ad is attractive enough. Items that tend to sell well are furniture, cars and electric gadgets.
However, the entries can also be very competitive, thus pushing your listing way down (and out of view) within days.
Due to easy accessibility, sellers are constantly getting phishing emails from scam buyers as well as demanding ones.
The fact that you need to meet in order to close the deal, exposed you to all the risks of dealing with a complete stranger. In unfortunate cases, you could easily become a victim of a fraud.
Getting help directly from the Craigslist team is almost impossible and your closest resource is probably the forum which looks something like this;
Hmm….not the most user-friendly interface I would say (and lots of ‘improper’ words too). If you think you can get some help here, good luck with that.
Can You Make Money Selling on Craigslist?
Craigslist has made money for some people who has been patient enough to learn and adapt to its selling system. But there are a few limitations to take note of;
- If you want to target a global market, this platform will not be suitable.
- Once your ad is published, you have no control over the visibility. The listing will expire after 45 days, get bumped down by other ads or get kicked out for whatever reasons.
- Regardless whether you are a seller of a buyer, you’ll find yourself reading most ads cautiously in fear of being scammed because that trend is so widespread within Craigslist.
A Better Way for Selling Things Online…
Would be to promote other people’s product through affiliate marketing. There are many advantages to this business model over selling second hand items.
- You don’t have to meet customers face-to-face.
- You don’t need to be involved in product shipping.
- You can work with reputable brands and promote brand new items to audience globally.
- It’s a low-cost method for starting an online business because you don’t need to acquire or keep stocks.
- You can build several niche websites and earn from multiple income streams.
The affiliate marketing industry is a big one and it offers a lot of business opportunities (much more than Craigslist) for people who wants to leverage the internet to make money online. If you like to learn how to become one, please visit my recommended training site and I’ll personally show you how to get started.
“Make something people want and sell that, or be someone people need and sell you.” – Ryan Lilly
Do you have any thoughts or questions about making money on Craigslist? Please share them in the comment area below and I’ll get back to you.
You may also want to read;